A cost effective, all weather Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for marine surveillance. Can take off from small vessels in rain and strong winds without the need of permanent installations for launch or collection.
In SAR missions, information is the key component that can enable an optimized rescue plan to be put in action, that will ultimately save lives. A lot of Marine SAR missions are performed in bad weather by small sea vessels, and they provide the platform to safely launch a small UAV prior to reaching the area, thus collecting information, allowing an optimized and coordinated rescue.
The UAV is simple to use and is reliable for launches from small sea vessels at bad weather, without the need of any prior/permanent installations on the vessel for launch or collection.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
· All weather – The UAV can launch from small spaces on a sea vessel during bad weather. Launches with over 40 km/h cross winds.
· Flight during rain
· Stability during flight – over 60km/h winds flights without any problems
· Electric motors – easier to manage, reduced maintenance, reliable to do what they are supposed to in any weather, safe to keep and operate.
· Parachute/floatable – the UAV parachutes down to the water surface. The UAV could be operated from large vessels with installed net poles for its collection. However smaller vessels do not have this ability. The UAV can also be operated from small vessels without the need of any previous/permanent installations
· Cost effective
· Multitool – The UAV can take a few kg of extra payload without any significant changes in its performance. It has a lot of space inside for extra equipment. The payload could be integrated according to customer needs.
· Simple - low maintenance high reliability
· Safety during launch (vessel movements)
· Allowing powered take off (launch stability at high winds)
· Customisable - can be customised to fit vessel.
Main task is search and rescue over water and maritime border control but its capabilities makes it ideal for other applications too like:
● Search and rescue over fire with strong upwind
● Laser measurements from the air in precision agriculture and surveying.
● Environmental mapping and monitoring
● Mapping over rough terrain for pipeline and power line construction.
● Drone based industrial inspection, maintenance & repair of oil & gas platforms, assets, utilities, infrastructure & energy parks.
● Drone based remote sensing for mapping & surveying.
● Drone based precision agriculture for crop, soil and irrigation monitoring.
Marine SAR teams need information before they reach an area of interest. The UAV enables a rescue plan to be in place by the time they arrive in the area. The UAV can launch from small sea vessels, without the need of prior permanent installations, collecting information about the area of the incident. Before the sea vessel arrives in the scene, it already has information and can thus put an optimized rescue plan into motion.
Using other aerial means (like a helicopter) would be possible. However, in bad weather, take off and landing could be tricky. Moreover, the operating cost of the helicopter is much higher, and the UAV would enable the helicopter to arrive in the area only when required for the rescue, and not for surveillance part of the mission.