Summers are getting hotter & drier and winters are getting severe & prolonged due to Global Warming. Space cooling and heating have become energy intensive due to imprecise control over the airflow (cold and warm) in the volume being conditioned. Traditional ceiling mounted or free standing fans do not provide the cross flow necessary for effective cooling in the tropics as the hot air trapped under the ceiling is disturbed raising the average room temperature (Image 1). In air-conditioned spaces expensive and extensive air duct network with open and shut controls is necessary for temperature homogenization.
Technology offered here mimics “Tornados” occurring in nature, but on a smaller scale, to generate an induced but controllable dual vortex air flow (Image 2). Application of this technology would not only provide breezy cross-flow necessary for space cooling in the tropics and very effective temperature homogenization of air-conditioned spaces to achieve significant cold energy savings. The Technology is ideal for “Smart Building Systems” to minimize energy waste and to offer optimum comfort levels to the occupants. The Technology is suitable for Industrial, Commercial and domestic applications.
The Technology has been developed purely based on "Physics" from first principles and can be adapted for applications like in-door air quality control, density homogenization of gases and liquids, blending of liquid vapour in gases, etc.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
Controllable Dual Vortex Air Flow generation technology was developed, using STAR CCM+ flow simulation software (Images 3a & 3b). Performance was then validated with full-scale prototype in Mild Steel+ABS materials. Prototype performance deviation from that of simulations was only -10.68% due to higher air temperature (33⁰C Vs 25⁰C) during prototype testing. From prototype tests, final product design was derived to fabricate demonstration units in Aluminum + ABS materials. The technology has been patented in five countries and design has been registered in Singapore and USA. Demonstration units with integrated down and up (LED) lighting are for site pilot testing. Product is designed for mass production by injection molding in non-metallic plastic materials and for scale-up or scale-down in size without affecting performance.
- Power Consumption: 30 to 80 Watts AC 230V,50Hz / 120V,60Hz / 24VDC.
- Motor: PMM 24VDC Pan Cake; 400 to 1000 rpm (200rpm steps).
- Air Flow Rate: 340 CFM (575 M3/hr.) to 845 CFM (1435 M3/hr.).
- Flow Amplification / Overall Efficiency: 47% / 40% > Ceiling fan.
- Flow pattern: 3-D Dual Vortex
- Vortex Footprint Control: By Motor Speed
- Noise Level: < 55 dB A at 2.5 m.
- Lights: 6 x 1W Down and 6 x 1W Up lights (LED) – Without shadow effect.
- Remote Controls: On/Off, Speed + Lights, Down/Up/ Both/None.
- Compact Size: 494mm (bottom); 445mm (top); 78mm (height); Weight: ~8 Kg.
- Concealed rotor (“Blade-less”), Safe for low / false ceilings.
In-door Air Circulation
- In the case of non-air-conditioned spaces, it generates breezy cross flows in 3-dimension, the most effective for cooling in Tropic and heating in cold countries.
- When employed in air-conditioned spaces it will homogenize the temperature eliminating hot and cold zones. This will allow higher temperature settings to save considerable cold energy (Hotels, Data Centers and “Clean” Rooms Etc.)
- In the case of open factory spaces there will be considerable volume of hot trapped air under the ceiling due to sun light on the roof. The induced vortex flows draw air from lower and cooler levels and distribute in 3-D fashion without disturbing the hot trapped air, thus resulting in increased comfort and Oxygen levels.
Note: In above cases cold air is drawn (up vortex) from lower elevations and distributed down spirally (down vortex) without mixing with or disturbing the hot trapped air under the ceiling.
- Technology can be incorporated with wet (water) or dry (filters) scrubbing systems to develop a stand-alone indoor-air purification system.
- Technology can be employed for in-line gas mixing for temperature or density homogenization.
- Technology is suitable for mixing and evaporation of liquid droplets in gas streams.
- There is large application potential in the automotive industry for cabin climate control.
- Small scale dust transport is possible with this Technology.
Some of the benefits of exploiting this dual vortex airflow generation technology in the commercial, industrial, hospitality and domestic sectors are as follows:
- Increased comfort levels at home and work place cost effectively.
- Direct electrical energy savings.
- Significant cold energy (air-conditioning) savings.
- Mainstream technology directly adaptable to off-grid renewable energy applications.
- Inherently safe to use products based on this technology.
- Technology adaptable to other applications like in-door air quality products.
- One product offering ventilation and lighting without any shadow effect.
- Ease of integration with smart building systems and interior decoration.
- Technology adaptable to novel and creative applications like gas mixing, liquid evaporation, automotive cabin climate control, etc.