Currently, many elderly live independently. However, for some elderly with reduced knee strength, they may have trouble standing up easily after sitting down. The proposed solution is a low-cost wearable stand up assistive device that can provide support to the knee-joints of the elderly so that they can easily stand up from a seated position. Our proposed equipment can (1) help the elderly to stand up easily; (2) prevent people from falling down when they are holding onto heavy objects; (3) support other motions which require greater knee forces. The key technology is that our proposed equipment can provide instantaneous self-lock function when the user wants to stand up so that the user has the chance to make additional attempts to stand up.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The key features of the Stand-Up Assistive Device are:
- The device is a low cost, light-weight mechanical system that supports the knee-joints for various activities.
- The device does not require a power supply or any electrical circuitry. Purely mechanical function.
- The device is easy to use and maintain. It is designed in such a way to be intuitive for the elderly.
Potential application areas include:
- For home use - Elderly or people with knee-joint injury in order to provide support for their knee-joint when carrying heavy objects.
- For rehabilitation and recovery centres - Aid in performing rehabilitation exercises and routine processes
- For factory/warehouse - provide support for the knee-joint of users carrying heavy objects
- For commercial - For people who need to stand for long hours
The Assistant device can help to:
- Support the knee-joints of the elderly and enable the elderly people to stand up more easily;
- Prevent people from falling down when they are holding a heavy object;
- Provide support to the knee-joint of users carrying heavy objects