This technology is related to development of filament for Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) 3D printing.
This filament has high metal content, such as Aluminum (Al), Copper (Cu), Iron (Fe), or Carbon nanotube (CNTs), can be used to fabricate many materials.
Advantage of this technology is these filaments can be printed by regular FDM 3D printer. No expensive investment on the 3D printer required.
This technology allows user to fabricate various functional materials from FDM printing.
1. If Aluminum composite is printed and sintered in furnace, Aluminum is oxidized and transformed into Alumina which is an excellent refractory up to 1800oC. Hence, alumina in a complicated shape can be obtained, which no other technique can achieved.
2. If Copper is printed and transformed into Oxidized Copper, one can use it as a sensor such as gas sensor, or optical sensor.
3. If carbon nanotube composite is printed, sample with an electrical conductivity around 4.8 S/m can be obtained.This sample is good enough for electronic application such as printed circuit board.
4. If vacuum furnace is used, metallic sample is also possible by this technique.
Above all, there is no need for a special 3D printer, but just a normal FDM 3D printer.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
This is filament technology had been explored for around 5 years.The technology is related to the powder metallurgy and FDM 3D printing.
Aim for this key technology is to achieve the following:
- Normal FDM 3D printer must be capable of fabricating sample using these filaments. This means, user do -not- need to invest on new, special and dedicated 3D FDM printers, which normally are expensive.
- Additive content in the filament must be high enough to be sintered and to obtain ceramics or metals.
- Filament must still be printable despite high additive content.
- Most of materials in the world must be able to mixed with this filament technology.
Various applications had been explored and more exploration in the near future too.
FDM filament with high-loading metal composite for ceramics and sensor 3D printing
- Ceramics fabrication by Fused Deposition Modeling 3D printer.
- Metal fabrication by Fused Deposition Modeling 3D printer.
- Sensors can be mass produced by Fused Deposition Modeling 3D printer.
- PCB board can be tailor made by Fused Deposition Modeling 3D printer.
The technology offers following benefits:
- Cheap but powerful FDM 3D printing system, which is ready to launch into mass production.
- Continuous technology development on new filament solution.
- Continuous technology collaboration and consultation from development team.