Eating difficulty is a critical and common problem in elderly who has chewing problems due to tooth loss. The loss in teeth impacts the elderly's general health and is a risk factor for malnutrition, disability, loss of self-sufficiency and deterioration in the quality of life. Three types of vegetable pudding, including sweet potato, sweet corn, and pumpkin, are designed for elderly with different degrees of teeth loss. Testing of these pudding are also tested by the elderly; where the panelists are grouped into three categories by posterior occlusal contact, according to the Eichner Index. Group A has contacts in four support zones; group B has one to three zones of contact or contact in the anterior region only; and group C had no support zones at all, although a few teeth could still be remaining. These pudding products can be claimed to be a source of fibre and also contains carotenoid and antioxidant. Water spray retort is used for the sterilization process, resulting in longer shelf life of product obtained. These products are prototypes of supplement for elderly which have health benefits beyond basic nutrition. In addition, these products can be also extended to children and health conscious consumers.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
- Three kinds of shelf-stable vegetable pudding, including sweet potato, sweet corn, and pumpkin, are formulated for elderly who have chewing problems.
- The formulations can be easily sterilized with a water-spray retort.
- All texture profiles, including hardness, adhesiveness, cohesiveness, chewiness, springiness, and gumminess and which are suitable for each group, are known. Hence, the food industry can use these parameters to develop foods for elderly.
Easy-to-chew vegetable pudding for senior:
- The formulations can be adjusted to develop low glycemic index vegetable pudding.
- All texture profiles, including hardness, adhesiveness, cohesiveness, chewiness, springiness, and gumminess, which is suitable for each group, are known. Hence, the food industry can be used these parameters to develop foods for elderly.