This secure embedded device can be easily reconfigured from an IoT Edge to an IoT Gateway and supports standard IEEE802.11 b/g/n. When put into a system, the Edge and Gateway can be configured into a simple “self-healing” mesh wireless network such that edge devices can be added or deleted in a flexible manner.
The system has the ability to “heal” and repair the communication network in the event when any of the edge devices, due to unplanned obstruction to the radio path, can connect to its nearest neighbour edge device and transmit the data payload to the cloud.
The entire system is also secured by hardware security mechanism from end-to-end. The system enforces a strict authentication from both the edge and gateway to ensure that no unidentified malicious devices are to be attached to the network, thereby greatly enhancing the security and integrity of the system.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The core gateway supports the following features:
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Single Stream 1x1, 2.4GHz
- Integrated PA, LNA
- Supports WEP, WPA/WPA2,WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryptions
- Supports full TPM (Trusted Platform Module) Specification 1.2
Standards: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bus Interface: UART ; SPI ; USB2.0
- 11n: Up to 135Mbps(dynamic)
- 11g: Up to 54Mbps(dynamic)
- 11b: Up to 11Mbps(dynamic)
- 802.11b: CCK, DQPSK, DBPSK
- 802.11g: 64 QAM, 16 QAM, QPSK, BPSK
- 802.11n: 64 QAM, 16 QAM, QPSK, BPSK
- Ad-hoc mode (Peer-to-Peer )
- Infrastructure mode
- Software AP
- WiFi Direct
Frequency Range: 2.400GHz ~ 2.4835 GHz
WiFi Security: WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK, WEP 64bit & 128bit, IEEE 802.11x, IEEE 802.11i
Features for Edge Device:
High level of Security features:
- 131 bits Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Engine
- 163 bits OPTIGA Trust B Digital Certificate (ODC)
- Message Authentication Code (MAC) Function
- Host Challenge by Software(Host → Slave)
- Security Library Concept for easy host side integration
Customizable Non-Volatile Memories:
- 64-bits protected NVM read-only space for customer specified information which cannot be modified by the end user
- 512-bits unprotected NVM memories for user mode area
- Endurance of 100,000 programming cycle (at 25 Deg C ambient temperature)
The system is suitable for applications such as energy monitoring system, industrial IoT, where a secure end-to-end connection is needed.
The robust communications capability allows it to be placed as edge devices to mitigate challenging RF link conditions. This ensures edge devices are always connected securely to the cloud.
The edge and gateway devices use the same chipset, which simplifies interoperability. This also allows the devices to be easily configured in the robust WiFi Mesh network.