Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are non-toxic substances widely used in food industries as a solvent, demoulding agent, lubricant or viscosity regulator. In addition, MCTs are used in various human dietary supplements, especially for patients with metabolic disorders. MCTs can also act as an alternative energy source in both human and veterinary applications. MCTs are synthesised by esterification of glycerol (or glycerin) with exclusively saturated fatty acids with a chain length of 6 to 12 carbon atoms (C6 to C12) and are therefore very stable against oxidation.
Currently, MCTs are mainly composed of triglycerides of C8 and C10 fatty acids. But MCTs composed of odd carbon number fatty acid, particularly n-Heptanoic acid (MCT-C7), offers a better metabolism rate due to its shorter carbon chain and its better water solubility, improving the kinetics of entry into blood circulation, compared to even-chain homologues. n-Heptanoic acid is also metabolised into unique C5 ketone bodies, which contribute to improve energy metabolism.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The company has developed unique chemistry processes to produce n-Heptanoic acid from castor oil. Key features of this n-Heptanoic acid include:
- 100% bio-based
- 100% vegetable origin
- 100% linear molecule
- High purity
- Registered in REACH
- “Genetically Modified Origin” free, not affected by BSE/TSE concerns
- Kosher certificated
- Halal certificated
- COSMOS approved
- GRAS approved as flavouring substance
n-Heptanoic acid is a key chemical intermediate to prepare MCT-C7 for several high-end applications:
- Nutritional supplements - As an energy source associated with its rapid metabolism for use in dietary supplements and in sports nutrition for weight management and performance improvement
- Feed application - As an energy source for optimal growth and to improve gut health and so increase in weight gain
- Cosmetics - As a 100% natural emollient, with a high polarity and spreadability, a low viscosity correlated to its significantly low melting point, and sustainable profile
The company is open to various forms of collaborations to develop new applications for this castor-oil derived n-Heptanoic acid as well as its derivatives such as MCT-C7. For example, partners can take advantage of the company’s R&D capacities and know-how in cosmetics to develop products such as sunscreen emulsion, cream and make-up formulations incorporating MCT-C7.