Currently, tons of fish scales are discarded as waste every day. Fish scales contain high-value proteinaceous and organic compounds such as collagen, scleroprotein, lecithin and hydroxyapatite. The most valuable substance in fish scales is the collagen. A green chemistry method was developed that uses specific optimised conditions to extract collagen from fish scales at low cost with high yield. The collagen extracted through this method can be used in various fields such as biomedical, cosmetics, food and pharmaceutical industries.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
A green chemistry method developed that uses specific optimized conditions to extract collagen from fish scales. In this method, eco-friendly solvents were used for demineralisation and collagen extraction at room temperature in fish scales at low cost with high yield compared to other published methods. The extraction of collagen from fish scales that otherwise will be disposed, will be able to bring in additional revenue stream for the fish farmers.
- Collagen producers and fish processing companies can use this green collagen extraction method to extract collagen from fish scales at low cost.
- Collagen is in high demand in the biomedical, cosmetics, food and pharmaceutical industries.
- Industries that are looking for alternate source of collagen for bovine and porcine based collagen can use this eco-friendly method to produce “Halal” non-porcine origin collagen for all communities.
- Collagen contains relatively high amounts of amino acids such as glycine, proline and hydroxyproline which are amino acids that are beneficial to human health. Controlled hydrolysis of collagen also gives rise to biologically active peptides which have great potential in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
- The denatured collagen which is known as gelatine could be used in a variety of applications in the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic and packaging industries.
- Fish scale collagen is an alternative source of collagen for bovine and porcine based collagen.
- Fish scales are rich with collagen that has high demands in the biomedical, cosmetics, food and pharmaceutical industries. It contains relatively high amounts of amino acids such as glycine, proline and hydroxyproline which are all amino acids beneficial to human health.
- This collagen extraction method utilizes green chemistry, with high yield and low-cost.