The present invention relates to a method of developing blast resistant concrete using local palm oil waste, commonly known as oil palm shell (OPS). Oil palm shell concrete (OPSC) is a lightweight concrete and when reinforced, it could be used as blast resistant concrete. Oil palm shell is light weight and has high impact and abrasion resistance. Hence oil palm shell is used to replace conventional granite aggregate to produce OPSC with the advantages of being green, lightweight and possessing high impact resistance.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
This invention relates to a method of producing blast resistant reinforced lightweight concrete using oil palm shell as coarse aggregate. The method of producing blast resistant reinforced lightweight concrete using oil palm shell comprising the steps of:
- Replacing the conventional crushed granite coarse aggregate by OPS; and
- Using OPSC in the reinforced concrete and 10% of silica as cementitious material
A blast wall assembly is an integrated system that effectively absorbs blast energy. Unlike conventional systems, the components of the blast wall assembly function in a manner similar to highway “crumple zones” by absorbing the energy generated by the sudden impact of a blast wave on the exterior surface of the blast wall. Although the blast wall assembly may incur repairable damage, the blast wall assembly absorbs a substantial portion of the blast energy rather than imploding into the interior space of the structure. Thus, the blast wall assembly greatly enhances the safety of the building structure and the occupants of the building structure.
- The oil palm shell can be used as an alternative replacement for conventional aggregates such as granite
- The oil palm shell concrete could be used for protecting structures against impact, blast and gas explosion
- Oil palm shell is light weight and has high abrasion and impact resistance – 4 to 5 times higher than conventional aggregates
- Excellent energy absorbing capacity compared to conventional crushed granite aggregate for similar blast load
- The use of the palm oil waste material to produce blast resistant OPSC concrete slab is eco-friendly and is of a lower cost than conventional fibrous material