CO2 under certain conditions of pressure and temperature higher or near its critical point acquires intermediate properties between liquid and gas and that makes it a fluid with a powerful solvent capacity, that can be used in many industrial applications some of them linked to extraction as an alternative to traditional organic solvents, and some specific ones linked to purification, impregnation, drying, or encapsulation processes.
The industrial applications of supercritical and subcritical CO2 technology are multiple. This technology has application for some of the most important mass consumption industries such as food, cosmetics and pharmacy. We talk especially about:
Deodorization and decontamination processes.
Generation of microencapsulated.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
Some advantages of the use of supercritical CO2 are linked to the following properties of this fluid:
- Green solvent, inert, non toxic, approved for BIO/ORGANIC products, and for GMP processing (pharma & cosmetic)
- Clean and Safe: non flammable, able to work under pressure
- High selectivity because solvent power depends on pressure and temperature conditions and can be fitted
- It becomes gas and volatilizes after depressurization: no solvent removal stages are required
- Processes are performed at low temperatures and without oxygen contact: able for thermolabile substances or to avoid oxidation of molecules
- Great capacity to extract substances and without generating waste or damaging the starting material: can be used to defat, dry, remove non desired aromas, remove pesticides,…
Altex, AINIA´s CO2 industrial plant, provides industry with access to supercritical CO2 processing services from First Industrial Trials up to Toll Manufacturing. It´s flexibility makes possible to offer different solutions such as advanced extractions, purifications and treatments of specific materials to diverse industries such as food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies.
- High pressure CO2 processes: extraction, purification, non-desired compounds removal, materials treatment.
- Toll manufacturing services adapted to customer requirements, providing added value.
- GMP certified for the extraction of APIs for pharma products.
- Pilot unit and experience for research & development.
- Feasibility test available. Quality assurance. Analytical laboratory
TRL 8-9: Industrial services ready for developed processes (possibility to start from earliest TRLs if necessary)
- Undesirable compounds/off-flavours removal.
- Low fat products and fine oils.
- Vegetal proteins.
- Sterilization and/or Deodorization.
- Starting material structure preservation/suitable for thermolabile substances.
- Oils and natural fragrances.
- Natural pigments.
- Pure botanical extracts.
- API extraction from natural sources.
- Purified medicinal extracts.
- Natural extract fractionation.
- Impurities/non-desired compounds removal.
- New ECO biopesticide extracts.
- Impregnation of active substances.
- Decontamination / materials cleaning.
- CO2 drying / solvent removal.
Altex, AINIA´s CO2 industrial plant, provides industry with access to supercritical CO2 processing services from First Industrial Trials up to Toll Manufacturing. It is a versatile and multi-product facility able to offer different solutions such as advanced extractions, purifications and treatments of specific materials to diverse industries such as food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies. This plant works with CO2 in subcritical and supercritical conditions and has a manufacturing system with certifications for GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and for ECO products.
Customer Benefit : maximize bussiness & minimize risks
- High quality ingredients.
- ECO/BIO certified.
- Solvent-free, safe and innovative products.
- Environmentally sustainable.