Current clinical hygiene care for people with limited mobility involves the use of wet wipes or water-soaked cotton to clean an individual’s private parts. Some of the problems for this method include allergic reactions to the chemicals present in wet wipes; intrusion of the patient’s privacy; and the need for at least one to two nurses or helpers.
As such, this prototype product of an inflatable bedpan is intended to improve the quality of personal hygiene of individuals with limited mobility. It can be easily slid under the patient and inflated while it's being used, and deflated once done. This bedpan is also foldable for easy storage
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The inflatable bedpan is connected to a pipe that collects all the waste and deposits them into the waste collection tank. The invention is equipped with flowing water—via a water tank and water faucet—to make it easier for the user to clean themselves. The bedpan is made of a more comfortable and hygienic material, unlike the current metal bedpan commonly used. Once it has been set up, the patient is afforded their own privacy with the ability to clean themselves, enabling the nurses to attend to other tasks and only to return, empty the collection tank and store it away.
Currently, the target market is for patients that are currently being placed in hospital or hospice care. However, this can be used outside of hospitals or clinics. It can also be used in private homes for individuals who have limited mobility or those with problems reaching or accessing lavatories or bathrooms, due to its ease of use.
Benefits of this product include:
- It allows patients or bedridden individuals the independence and privacy to clean themselves after urination or defecation.
- It can be easily set up by one person.
- It helps improve the personal hygiene quality of individuals with limited mobility.
- It is portable and made of materials that allow it to function on any surface, bed, or chair.
- Squatting while sitting on the inflatable bedpan helps in easing bowel movement.