The development in the field of nanotechnology causes an immense revolution in the world of science of materials and engineering. Carbon nanomaterials (CNM) such as carbon nanotubes (CNT) and carbon nanofiber (CNF) are regarded as one of the most outstanding materials in the nanotechnology revolution due to their fascinating properties like high strength and ﬂexibility, high thermal and electrical conductivity, and low density.
The present invention discloses a novel method for modifying and/or functionalizing CNMs, more specifically CNTs, using deep eutectic solvents (DESs) - a mixture of two or more compounds that is characterized by a melting point that lies below the melting points of each of its components.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
This innovation allows a novel method for the modiﬁcation of carbon nanomaterials (CNM), using deep eutectic solvents (DESs). Characterization of the new CNM revealed that modiﬁcations involved both structural characteristics, such as surface area and pore volume, as well as the inclusion of new functional groups that can modulate the functionality of these CNM for speciﬁc applications.
The modiﬁed CNM can be utilized for different applications including but not limited to:
- Adsorption of gases
- Heavy metals removal from wastewater
- Bio and chemical sensors
- Immobilization of proteins and DNA
- Composite materials
- Electronic devices
- Deep Eutectic Solvents (DESs) are easy to prepare in pure state, non-reactive with water and toxicological properties already characterised;
- Some of the DESs are biodegradable and can be used in large-scale applications;
- Carbon nanomaterials functionalised using DESs have various potential applications.