Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Nanofabrication Platform for Nano-Optical Elements
Structures with dimensions much smaller than the wavelength of light possess interesting light altering properties. Inspired by color-altering properties of nano-materials in nature, e.g. colorful iridescence of opals, certain bird feathers, and insects, sophisticated optical elements, such as holograms and structural color filters has been demonstrated by the team. Such devices could find use in anti-counterfeiting applications, sensors, and displays.
This technology offer is a platform to design and fabricate Nano-Optics. The team has core capabilities in high-resolution patterning using 2D and 3D printing approaches, as well as advanced algorithms including Deep Neural Network, enabling it to develop functional optical materials for partners.
The team operates out of a cleanroom that boasts state-of-the-art equipment, using Electron Beam Lithography (EBL) for printing features as small as a few nanometers, and an advanced femtosecond laser Two-photon Polymerization Lithography (TPL) system for nanoscale 3D printing. The technology is most suited for rapid and accurate prototyping of small-area samples of a few millimeters.
The team seeks to engage with companies and academia in meaningful partnerships to tackle technical challenges and gain competitive advantages. In particular, the team is looking for partners with complementary capabilities in nanofabrication and scale-up technologies to discover new technologies and solve industrial challenges by developing various nano-3D-printed devices such as holograms and plug-and-play optics, while integrating machine learning into the design of complex 3D nanostructures.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
- Design of nano-optics: simulation, modelling, algorithms, machine learning
- 3D printing of optical elements with extreme resolution (feature size: down to 300 nm)
- High resolution 2D lithography via self-assembly or electron beam (feature size: down to 10 nm)
- Materials (3D Printing): polymer, high-index polymer, shape memory polymer
- Materials (2D Printing): metals, high-index dielectrics (e.g. Silicon), low-index dielectrics (polymer)
High-resolution patterning using 2D and 3D printing approaches to develop functional optical materials can have many applications, including the following:
- Anti-counterfeiting: Optical security labels on different surfaces (documents, metals, plastics, pharmaceuticals, etc.)
- Displays, Electronic-Paper, AR/VR, holograms
- Sensors and spectrometers
- Optical data storage
- Fade-resistant colour prints/paints
- Sustainable cosmetics
- Miniaturization of components
The team has deep expertise in this area of nano-optics fabrication, as well as state-of-the-art equipment. In working with the team, customers can access the following:
- Expertise in nanotechnology, nanofabrication, additive manufacturing, optics and electronics
- Solutions in device miniaturization
- Access to state-of-the-art R&D facilities (Cleanroom, Electron Beam Lithography, Two-photon Polymerization Lithography, SEM, Deposition, Etcher, etc.)
- Suitable for sustainable and green applications