Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Natural Antimicrobial Product from Rosa canina
Antibiotic resistance is a global problem to healthcare, food security and development today. Overuse and misuse of antibiotics including incorrect methods of intake and/or administration have accelerated the scope of antibiotic resistance to impact all regions of the world. To aggravate the situation, there have been divestments from new active molecule discovery in the pharmaceutical industry in recent years. With limited agents to fight against the rising incidences of antibiotic-resistant infections, this calls for the need to develop new antimicrobials.
The technology comprises a product of natural origin, derived from Rosa canina or Rose hips. The product is isolated with a green extraction technique without the use of organic solvents. The product has been shown to possess high antimicrobial and disinfectant activity towards different types of bacteria, including strains that are resistant or multi-resistant to antibiotics.
The technology provider is seeking potential partners for co-development of pilot plants for mass production of this plant-derived antimicrobial agent.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
A natural product is isolated from Rosa canina seeds using supercritical CO2 extraction. The product showed high antimicrobial activity towards bacterial strains that are highly resistant to antibiotics including Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Streptococcus pyogenes. The extraction method does not involve any organic solvent, and hence it is environmentally friendly.
The plant-derived natural product presents the following advantages :
- Broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity
- Active towards a variety of antibiotic-resistant bacteria
- 100 % natural
- Free of traces of organic solvent
- Can be diluted in water at different concentrations
- Versatile for different applications
The plant-derived product can be used in the following applications :
- In preparations for human use including creams for skin use, antibacterial gel for oral dental use in the treatment of perimplantitis and periodontitis, functional base for mouthwash and toothpaste, antifungal cream or gel for topical use
- As an antibacterial / antifungal ingredient in cosmetic and pharmaceutical preparations for topical, cutaneous, or mucosal use
- As a disinfectant in the following areas :
- Household hygiene products including hand soaps
- Preoperative disinfection in hospital wards to prevent cross-infections of nosocomial nature
- Disinfection of surgical instruments
- Community hygiene products for use in aeration/conditioning systems, environmental disinfection systems through automatic devices
- Veterinary: In liquid or solid preparations for skin disinfection in farmed or pet animals, including treatment of skin mycoses, treatment of parasites, disinfection of milking plants
- Agriculture: Treatment of diseases in crops and ornamental plants, disinfection of environments or equipment used in the packaging industry
- Novel antimicrobial product of plant origin for tackling the current global issue of antibiotic resistance
- Novel antimicrobial product that can be applied for a large breadth of applications
- Environmentally friendly extraction method without generating any contaminating by-products