Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Continuous SpO2 Monitoring System Using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Wearables
SpO2, also known as oxygen saturation, is a measure of the amount of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin in the blood relative to the amount of hemoglobin not carrying oxygen. The body needs a certain level of oxygen in the blood, or it will not function as efficiently. In fact, very low levels of SpO2 can result in serious symptoms. This condition is known as hypoxemia.
Patients with moderate to critical COVID-19 associated pneumonia have a high risk of low oxygen levels. Advanced age, underlying conditions such as diabetes, heart diseases and obesity are other risk factors, which require reliable and continuous SpO2 monitoring.
This technology offer is a self-calibrating, self-tuning, cross-platform AI algorithm that can be easily integrated with commercially available Photoplethysmography (PPG) wearables, e.g., a PPG wristwatch, to continuously monitor SpO2 levels in real-time.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
Currently, medical grade fingertip pulse oximeters are used to monitor SpO2 levels.
This technology offer is using a sophisticated AI algorithm together with a PPG wearable to monitor SpO2 levels continuously. It is cost-effective and easy to use as it is hardware-independent and can be easily integrated into existing and future PPG wearables. It can be adapted and customised to individual users, e.g., individual body performance and personalised lifestyle advice. The technology offer, through AI multi-dimensional bioinformation analysis, gives more meaningful insights and predictions on the current and future body performance and potential risks.
Compared with existing technologies, this technology offer is based on a self-calibrating (where it dynamically calibrates any hardware using relevant data set collected), self-tuning (where it automatically searches for best hyper-parameter values during model training) multi-stage AI algorithm that is trained and validated by real bioinformation. This gives a high estimation accuracy of SpO2 levels.
The potential application areas are :
- Public or private hospitals, clinics, community care centers
- Individuals who might suffer from the risk of low blood oxygen levels or healthy lifestyle seekers
- Recovered COVID-19 patients who are on long-term self-monitoring
- Sports sectors e.g., sports training, altitude training, sports research, and sports competition
- Medical devices, equipment suppliers and manufacturers
The potential products that can integrate this technology are :
- Existing or future wearables with PPG, e.g., wristwatch, headset, t-shirt, etc
This technology offer has the following benefits :
- Hardware-independent and platform-independent, hence easy to be incorporated into existing and future wearables
- Self-calibrating, self-tuning, multi-stage AI algorithm, giving a high estimation accuracy of SpO2 levels.
- Affordable and cost-saving
- Real-time monitoring and timely feedback customised for users and caregivers
- Multi-dimensional personalised body performance and risk analysis