Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Intelligent Energy Storage System for Renewables
Based in Singapore, the technology owner has developed an intelligent energy storage system (ESS) that utilises power electronics and artificial intelligence-assisted control algorithms, to monitor and control the power and energy of battery modules within an ESS. The proprietary battery monitoring system design can potentially replace the costly battery management systems (BMS) of ESS, providing enhanced performance and reliability.
The smart battery monitoring system is capable of automatically bypass faulty battery modules, without affecting overall system operation. In addition, the system enables in-operation swapping of faulty battery modules, and thus reduces downtime and maintenance costs. It is also flexible, allowing different battery cell technologies to be integrated under a single platform, and can be used for repurposed second life batteries with the additional benefits of not having to pre-sort the batteries according to their state of health.
The technology owner has developed and tested the functionality of an initial prototype. Currently, the technology owner is seeking collaboration with industry partners to bring the technology to market, through co-development of systems that can be used by renewable energy integrators and in applications where energy storage is needed including electric vehicle (EV) charging systems.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
- Lower system and energy costs especially for systems that use repurposed second life battery.
- Lower system costs for renewable energy integration for intermittency mitigation. Improved reliability for grid application as well as for EVs.
- Lower conversion losses compared to traditional BMS. Supercapacitor integration for fast charging and power damping. Ease of integration to DC and AC grid. Built-in charger for fast charging.
- Mix battery technologies capability, modular and hot-swap capability. Inherent short circuit protection and over- and under-charge/discharge protection.
- Intelligent battery system that is capable of cells isolation and bypass of faulty battery. Real-time battery module balancing for grid-scale energy storage. Low maintenance and remote monitoring and control capability.
- Renewable energy storage systems.
- EV charging systems.
- Large scale grid energy storage.
- Integration with renewable energy sources such as solar and wind.
- Lower capital cost with built-in BMS.
- Lower maintenance costs.
- Environmentally friendly through the reuse of second life batteries.