Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Bread Products With Defatted By Sea Buckthorn Berry Pomace
Sea buckthorn berry has been recognised for centuries for its health properties. This berry has a high content of bioactive compounds, including anti-inflammatory effects, antioxidants, phytosterol, high in dietary fiber, and vitamins C, K, and E. Hence, this technology incorporated defatted sea buckthorn berry pomace into bread for value-added benefits.
The technology discloses a method of defatting sea buckthorn berry using supercritical carbon dioxide extraction. Supercritical CO2 extraction is a separation technology that uses carbon dioxide fluid solvent for defatting extraction to achieve defatted buckthorn berry pomace.
The technology will interest potential partners such as food or bakery manufacturer who wish to enrich their products and manufacturers seeking effective supercritical CO2 extraction.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The technology involved the process of drying freshly pressed until the residual moisture content does not exceed 10%, grinding, and defatting by supercritical CO2 extraction. The defatted sea buckthorn berry pomace is then added to bread dough mixture to substitute 1% to 5% of flour and reported that 2.5% and 5% obtained the best variants.
The benefits of incorporating defatted sea buckthorn berry include:
- Increased total phenolic compound content by 10 and 11 times
- Improved absorption capacity by 5 and 21 times
- Dietary fiber of 2.08 and 2.85, respectively.
- More resistant to oxidation
- Does not affect the other physiochemical parameters significantly
Bread has been one of the staple foods across ages and cultures that constitute a major part of their daily life. Incorporating defatted sea buckthorn pulp to bread catered to the functional demand as fortified, clean label and organic bread are the preferred bread categories for health-conscious consumers.
These functional bread with defatted sea buckthorn pulp can be used in different applications such as:
- Food retail chains
- Health-conscious consumers
- Bread products are enriched with bioactive health-promoting substances in sea buckthorn berry pulp; significantly increases the antioxidant potential of bakery products.
- The use of pre-crisis CO2 defatted sea buckthorn berries makes them more resistant to oxidation, both during their storage as components of the bread recipe and during baking or storage of bread products made with the pulp.
- The technology promotes a circular economy by using the by-product of juice and purée production into higher-value foods.