Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
The Software Solution Revolutionizing Diabetic Eye Care
This technology is a software solution, centered on a clinically-validated algorithm, that accurately calculates the risk of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy, one of the leading causes of blindness in the world. Based on an user-friendly individualized risk calculation, the solution facilitates early detection of the eye disease and allows healthcare professionals to provide personalized care to enhance patient’s clinical safety. This solution can save the eyesight of millions of people living with diabetes.
The unique software solution serves as a decision support tool to identify low, medium, and high-risk patients and it charts the key risk factors for each patient. It can also recommend variable eye screening intervals, based on each patient’s risk profile, ensuring that the right patient receives the right care at the right time.
The solution also supports doctor/patient dialogue by vividly demonstrating, in an easy-to-visualize way, how modifying key risk factors such as blood glucose (HbA1c) and blood pressure, can significantly lower the risk of vision loss. This motivates patients towards enhanced diabetes care and becoming more active participant in their own wellness journey.
The company offers a novel, sustainable solution in an area of high unmet medical need, where today’s methods alone are unsustainable. It can lead to enhanced clinical outcomes, increased diabetic eye screening capacity and potential healthcare cost savings of up to 60%.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The technology offers the following features and advantages:
- Unique, proprietary, and vigorously clinically validated algorithm that predicts 12-month risk of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy
- Adds a new dimension to diabetic eye care with individualized risk assessment and variable eye screening intervals for each patient based on risk scores and main risk factors
- High-risk patients receive more intense care and frequent eye screening (every 3-6 months opposed to the general yardstick of annual screening), resulting in enhanced clinical safety
- Variable model can increase diabetic eye screening capacity by 40-60% without any additional investment in staff or equipment
- Application Programming Interface (API) connects with any IT system and runs on secure and highly scalable cloud-based technology
- Web-based portal and mobile application add additional layers of remote monitoring for sight-threatening retinopathy risk
- The mobile application allows patients to assess and monitor their risk of developing sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy. Easy-to-understand color-coded risk scores allows patients to identify key underlying risk factors and better understand how lifestyle changes can lower their risk of vision loss
- The technology’s web application and API welcome decision-support tools for healthcare professionals to quickly identify a patient's risk profile or stratify a cohort of patient’s risk profile
- With a stratified patient cohort, healthcare professionals can focus on high-risk patients and enhance the clinical safety of those patients
This solution applies cutting edge science to improve diabetes care for both suppliers of healthcare services and patients by adding a layer of predictive modeling and risk stratification.
The solution can add great value for a number of stakeholders including :
- Diabetes hospitals and polyclinics
- Eye clinics
- Primary care
- Providers of electronic health records (EHR)
- Digital health platforms and diabetes apps
- Health insurers
- Pharmaceutical companies and research labs
- Diabetic Equipment Manufacturers
The solution can be used by ophthalmology and endocrinology departments as well as other venues that offer more comprehensive diabetes care. The proven solution improves patient clinical outcomes and optimizes cost of care without any additional investment in staff or equipment and is easily integratable into any IT system.
While improving clinical outcomes for the patients with more personalized care, the technology also provides a unique opportunity to eliminate inefficiencies and wasteful healthcare spending by automating early detection of diabetic eye disease, optimizing resources and simplifying workflows.
Benefits for healthcare professionals and patients :
- Delivers individualized 12-month risk assessment of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy for each patient/user
- Identifies main risk factors for each patient/user
- Offers recommendations for variable interval for eye screening based on each patient’s risk profile (6 - 24 months intervals)
- Enables better decision-making for patients and healthcare professionals
Health-economic benefits :
- 40-60% increased eye screening capacity without any investment in staff or equipment
- Enables hospitals, clinics or any other practice or platform to increase patient/client base
- Proven increased clinical safety for patients