Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Conformable, Soft Tactile Sensor for Wearables and Smart Electronic Skin Applications
This technology oﬀer is a soft tactile sensor with low operation voltage and ultralow power consumption, intended for use in robotic devices, human- machine interactions and health monitoring devices. This ﬂexible tactile sensor uses low-cost printing processes and is adaptable on any active surfaces. The technology is also amenable to fabrication of ﬂexible, large area sensor arrays as well as high density, high spatial resolution active matrix tactile sensors.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
The following are the features and speciﬁcations of the soft tactile sensor:
- High sensitivity of more than 100 kPa-1
- Low limit of detection of 1.1 Pa
- Low working voltage of less than 1V
- Cost Eﬀective
- Printable technology, using low cost processes
- Conformable, adaptive on any active surfaces
- Use of environmentally friendly organic materials
The tactile sensors are able to capture a static spatial pressure distribution and monitor dynamic pressure stimuli at multiple points on target surface, that can ﬁnd various applications in the ﬁelds of soft robotics, health monitoring and human-machine interfaces.
Some application examples are:
- Large area electronic skin applications powered by small integrated power sources
- Smart artiﬁcial limb with a tactile feedback system to provide a touch feedback to grab soft objects in a controlled way
- Smart artiﬁcial skin for the perception of surface texture with various roughness, hardness and pattern shapes
- Wearable health-monitoring devices including blood pressure monitoring, respiratory monitoring, and other vital signs monitoring
The soft tactile sensor has various beneﬁts such as the lower costs, easier to use, low power consumption, long-term lifetime, adaptable on any active surface (conformability), and use of environmentally friendly organic materials (biocompatibility). It can also be a suitable alternative for monitoring the blood pressure in premature babies and neonates whose skin is extremely sensitive to external pressure. The ultrahigh sensitivity at low pressure range enable our soft, lightweight and ﬂexible pressure sensor be attached to the under-developed neonate skin, guaranteeing a high spatial ﬁdelity and ensuring the chances of registering systolic and diastolic pressure events.