Discover, Connect & Collaborate at TECHINNOVATION 2021
Plant-Based Antimicrobial Agent to Mitigate Coronavirus
In recent years, sanitization has become an inevitable and essential routine. To combat infections, companies resort to the use of chemicals, exposing themselves as well as the environment to toxins. Extensive use of chemicals can also lead to development of antibiotic resistant bacteria, increasing the risk of infection.
The technology on offer is a patent-pending plant-based antimicrobial agent, that has been scientifically tested to instantly kill and protect against a wide spectrum of bacteria, fungi and human coronavirus. Derived from recycling edible fruit residue, the technology enables the creation of a circular economy and reduced carbon footprint. It is non-toxic, eco-friendly, safe, and has been successfully incorporated into various applications including medical grade masks, naturally blended hand sanitizers, disinfectants, and long-lasting antimicrobial coatings that can keep a myriad of surfaces including the high-contact points clear of pathogens for up to 180 days.
Technology Features, Specifications and Advantages
Some features of this antimicrobial technology include :
- Derived from recycling edible fruit residue
- Non-toxic, non-flammable and free of heavy metals
- Effectively kills 99.999% of bacteria within 1 minute
- Kills pathogens via generation of reactive oxygen species
- Tested to instantly kill and protect against a wide spectrum of bacteria (including Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococcus faecium, Salmonella typhimurium), fungi (Candida albicans) and human coronavirus (229E)
- Effective under all conditions (light, dark, wet, and dry)
- Stable up to 10 years
- Able to withstand high temperatures (up to 250°C)
- Durable – provides antimicrobial protection up to 180 days
- Proven to show no development of antibiotic resistance.
- Suitable to be applied onto various types of surfaces and textiles
This technology is suitable for a variety of applications seeking antimicrobial properties. The company has successfully developed a range of products such as medical grade masks, hand sanitizers, disinfectant solutions and self-disinfecting coatings using the technology.
Potential applications include (but are not limited to) :
- Food packaging
- Plastics and fibres
- Water sanitization
- Personal care products
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Consumer goods such as luggage
- Paints and varnishes
- Platform technology that can be incorporated into various applications at minimal cost
- Long lasting and self-disinfecting